Translate this Website

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

FLIGHT PLANS 8/30 - 9/6

This week was a good one and we made it to our last week in the MTC! My birthday was last week and although the MTC is not the best place to celebrate a birthday, I still had fun (until I realized I was no longer a teenager).

 My favorite scripture from this week is Alma 17:11.  It talks about how we're all missionaries! :

 11 And the Lord said unto thealso: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.

------------

Tuesday:
      Today was my 20th birthday!! Dad and Kassie came by the MTC for my birthday and gave me presents over the fence....but dad was in a gorilla costume.  Elder Rod came with and I think he saw a pretty good representation of my family.  I got two amazing gifts for my birthday today!  One was from the USC ward and the other was from Sophie!  Its so great to know that they're thinking of me and holding down the fort while I'm gone.  Sophie sent me cake pops and they are so delicious.

Wednesday:
     Our district tried and "English Fast" today and spoke only Spanish.  Although it didn't go great for any of us, it was interesting to put ourselves in that frame of mind.  It was tough for me because I mostly just talked a lot less and was mostly in my own thoughts all day.  I think this is what made today kind of rough...

Thursday:
     Today was so much better.  We taught a lesson over SKYPE!  The best part was that the people we were teaching are currently living in Buenos Aries, and through the magic of technology, we were able to talk to them!  It was an old couple having dinner and the wife kept pulling out delicious looking trays of meat... We got her to hold some up for us to eat!  She was wearing a "New York City" t shirt, all the way in Argentina!  I asked about it because Sophie now lives in New York!  Small world! Both Roderick and I walked away with the biggest smile.

Friday:
     We got our flight plans today!  Although we still have a little over a week left, it is starting to set in that we are going to Argentina and WE ARE ECSTATIC.  We leave next Monday, September 12, and we are basically traveling for the entire day...this is nice because a lot of missionaries have to work as soon as they get to "la campo" (the field).
     While writing in our journals, Elder Dallimore fell asleep on my bed.  We decided to play a prank on him and turn of the lights and set the alarm to go off in a few minutes.  We pretended to wake up and we asked him what he wanted to do for exercise time.  He totally fell for it until he saw the clock--we had a great laugh..

Saturday:
     We had a substitute teacher tonight and he actually went to Argentina on his mission! He spoke in their accent and told us some slang and at the end of the lesson, he showed us some pictures of Buenos Aires North.  It made us all go crazy and we are so excited to get down there.
     I read something cool in the Book of Mormon today that helped with some of my doubts!  I have been struggling with the idea of not being able to express all my ideas and thoughts in Spanish, but in Jacob 4:7, it talks about Sherem, who had a perfect knowledge of language, and with this perfect knowledge he was able to persuade people to disbelief.  However, with my very imperfect knowledge of language, it takes humble hearts to be able to listen to our message--who are the type of people ready for the gospel!   

Sunday: 

     Sacrament meeting today was a hoot.  President Price was the only member of the presidency in attendance because the other two were sick/on vacation.  After the Sacrament, he was telling us about the schedule today, and his wife was mouthing something to him from the pews.  He called her out on it because he knew what she said, and he said aloud "You see, women are born with the ability to read lips, but men are not, and I have finally gained the ability at age 56."  She mouthed something else, and he said "Will I dance with you?--Yes, of course!" We all laughed pretty hard and his wife was not having it, haha I'm gonna miss President Price! Wonderful Sunday filled with the Spirit! 

Monday:
     Today was the first day of fall in Utah.  You can feel and smell it in the air, and unfortunately, that means it's getting a little colder.  But the good news is that its Spring in Argentina!  Elder Dallimore and Elder Paulson leave at 3 in the morning-- gonna miss those guys, they're going to be amazing missionaries!

----------------------

Couple quotes I heard throughout the week:

  • "'Ask' is the most repeated commandment in the scriptures--we must ask!"
  • "God usually reveals his love through other people"


Anyway, thanks for all the love and support! The Church is true!