Translate this Website

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Re: B DAY P DAY

1) My friends at the temple. Paulson, Schelly, Arshad, Roderick, Me, Dallimore, and Goodmanson.  Schelly and Arshad are companions, Paulson and Goodmanson are companions, and Dallimore and Doney were companions, but since he left his is just with Paulson and Goodmanson.
2) Me wearing David Archuletta's tie (he was on our floor when he was here)
3) Tuesday Night Devotional crowd
4) Elder Doney!
​​​​​​​​​
​​​​
​​
​​


On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Grant Amann <grant.amann@myldsmail.net> wrote:
Oh and I forgot to mention, but after talking to President Price on Sunday, he asked me to be the new District Leader of my district!  Although this primarily means getting the mail for everyone, it is a higher position and I am so grateful to be able to work hard in here!

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Grant Amann <grant.amann@myldsmail.net> wrote:

​It's my 20th birthday today!  Although I don't mind too bad, it is kind of hard to enjoy a birthday in the MTC and everyone agrees... The "happy birthday's" are followed by "in the MTC? I'm sorry."  The mail man and in the package room said "you don't have birthdays on your mission." Hopefully that means I'll get to stay 19!  Anyway, SUPER spiritual (but personal) week, and I am so happy to be on a mission!! The Church is true!  Even though everyone has doubts, it is important to keep in mind the bigger picture, and that you have SO many friends and loved ones willing to support you!

Monday:
I skipped Monday last week because I ran out of room, but we taught Maribel again and she told us more about what she is suffering with.  She has to take some medication, and that medication has hallucinations as side effects, so we had to teach her outside the little room we normally teach her in.  I think this was nice for all of us.  I wish we could talk to her in English, and actually help her with what she's actually struggling with, but sometimes the most we can offer is a sad smile and a "Lo siento."  But I honestly think the best thing that she needs is someone that will listen to her, and Elder Roderick and I love listening to her.  She always leaves us with the biggest smile on our face.  Maribel loves talking about how Mormons have so many kids, and that when Rod comes home, he will find a wife, and they will have lots of "Roderick-itos" ha! We all laugh pretty hard.

"No tag, no swag" - ElderRodo

Tuesday:
We had Breakfast at the Temple today and it was delicious to say the least.  We miss real food..
Tonight's Devotional was from Elder Juan A. Uceda.  He is a member of the 70, and he spoke a lot about the power of the Book of Mormon.  As he was telling us about the first time he read the Book of Mormon and the way he shared his experience, we could still feel his excitement from the first time he read it.  He talked about how he still needs a lot of work to be like Christ, and it is really humbling to get to here someone so wonderful say that he has a long ways to go too. 

Wednesday:
     Today was a little rough, because it is sometimes hard to get back into Spanish after P-Day.  I also kind of realized that it is ok for missionaries to not be 100% confident in the gospel all the time, because even though we have such wonderful spiritual experiences, we also go through a lot of doubt.  But that's ok, because we stay here anyway and we fight through the doubt!
     This day was rough, but as I write this a week later, I feel much better!

Thursday:   
      I learned some personal lessons today, so I don't have too much to write about.  But late at night we heard a mysterious beeping noise, so we went to go look for it, and it turns out the emergency phone on our floor was making the sound that happens after you leave the phone off the receiver too long.  So we unplugged the phone... and we still heard a less frequent, softer, higher in tone beep that none of us could locate.  Only 4 of us were still awake and we got very freaked out looking for it, so we just decided it would be best to go to sleep.   We decided that the MTC definitely has ghosts.  Or spirits at least.  They're definitely friendly ones, though, it was just past our bed time!

Friday:   
     Our friend Elder Doney went home today.  He was struggling with some health issues in his bones, and after being here, his condition worsened.  It was sad to see him leave because he definitely works harder than any of us, so why would he be the one to leave?  We agreed that he already proved that he would've been an excellent missionary.  Right before he left, he was filled with so much hope and happiness, that even though he couldn't continue being a missionary, it somehow felt ok.  We have to keep in mind the bigger picture--we are here on Earth to be tested, (and for us, not necessarily to just serve missions).

Saturday:

We all switched comps today because our teacher made us go on splits! I got to be with Elder Whiting for the day.  He's from GRANTsville so he's alright. He's a really nice kid and we had a great day. 
     Our teacher had us pretend to be someone we know that isn't a member or isn't active, so that other missionaries in our class could teach us and we could practice being in the shoes of those we teach.  It was really cool to be able to put myself behind the feelings and emotions and see how someone else would help them solve the things they need help with!

Sunday:

Remember how I wasn't feeling well on Tuesday?  Well I went to talk to my President, President Price, here in the MTC and we just talked about things and he helped me feel SO much better about being here.  President Price is the man, and he has such a strong testimony.  It is hard to explain, but I truly felt a burning in my chest.  Older members of this gospel can be the most humble, spiritually uplifting people you've ever met.  They are people who are so wise and filled with so much love, and I hope to have the same wisdom and love when I am older. 
     We have been told that we can do anything on the internet as long as it is on LDS.org.  We found Johnny Lingo on LDS.org and definitely watched that as soon as we found out.  For those who haven't seen it, it is about some stud, Johnny Lingo, who lives on an island and when it comes time for him to take a wife, everyone thinks he is cheap and blind. It cracks us up, and it makes me mad BYU didn't make more films in the genre. 

Monday:

I got sick somehow yesterday, and I got a pretty bad headache.  Other than that, today went by pretty quickly.  Its the day before I turn 20 and I feel very old.  "Halfway to 40!" Elder Dallimore said. UGH haha
 We also watched Johnny Lingo again today haha it is so good. And because it is my birthday tomorrow, we are definitely watching it again tomorrow.

----------------

Anyway, that's all for this week!  Here's a picture of my district, all wearing our Argentina ties!